Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day 9: Shabbat and Night out in Jerusalem

January 18th- Day 9

This morning, we opted to wake up a bit earlier so that we could go to a synagogue on Shabbat. It was a really emotional experience to pray in one of the holiest cities in the world. We celebrated two bar-mitvahs and we got to throw candy at them! It was also my first time being in a different section than the men. Overall, it was an amazing experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I truly understand the meaning of Jewish community as the woman next to me shared candy to throw and her prayer book.

When we returned back to the hotel, we had a political lecture to explain the current conflict in the middle east. I actually enjoyed listening to the lecture and learning more about the political situation in Israel. He first tried to explain to us the way that people view politics in the Middle East. Then, he went into more specifics about Israel's relations with it's neighboring countries.

After the lecture, we had lunch and some free time before the park. At the park, a few of us played on the playground and sat around and chatted. We did our Havdalah service there as well.



We returned back to the hotel to get ready for our night out on the town in Jerusalem. We went to Ben Yehuda street where I ate my very first schwarma. Then, we headed over to a bar called Toy Bar where we were surprised by 6 out of the 8 of our soldiers! It was such a great night filled with laughter and great friends! Last day in Israel tomorrow:(

No comments:

Post a Comment